Saturday, June 23, 2018

Afterword

 
 Acknowledgements

The expression, "No one writes a book alone," is one I little understood until I completed The Hood Street Anthology. Truly, I would be remiss if I neglected to acknowledge those who helped me in so many ways.

First and foremost I would like to thank my wife, Marcie. Her patience in all things is remarkable. To Father Steve Horn, Pastor of the Catholic Community of St. Luke the Evangelist, Houston, Texas, thank you for providing me with the office space needed, the use of a computer and the many questions answered in the taming of the beast. Also thanks to Ms. Michele Ploude-Barker and John P. O'Connor of the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum in Springfield, Massachusetts for their historical information and insights. Where would I be without the critical eye of Joe Peabody and my nephew, Tom Devine, at whose insistence the plodding work moved forward. Finally, a very special thank you to Elsa Huber, a life-long resident of the real Hood Street, who read and commented on these stories and saw in them, a time and place now gone, existing only in our shared memories. - J.E.D.

 


 

The artwork of the cover of the original unedited version was a joint effort by Theresa Devine and her friend Gregory Scott:

 

 

John E. Devine Jr. was born November 3, 1926 and passed away November 13, 2010 at the age of 84. He described The Hood Street Anthology as "exploring and recreating middle 20th century values and events and the people, who through the sheer strength of character, live out their lives and pass the substance of what they have learned to the next generation." Devine strove to recreate the dusty street of his boyhood and invites the reader to explore through these stories the universal questions of the human condition. A second anthology of Springfield stories was planned entitled Haskin Flagg but work had not begun on that volume at the time of his death.

John Devine Jr. shared the distinction of another Western Massachusetts writer - Miss Emily Dickinson - in having a poem published in the Springfield Republican newspaper.  Here is Devine at the poet's grave in Amherst.

 

 

The title of Devine's poem published in the Springfield Republican was "The Lodge at Porter Lake" and dealt with the subject of Springfield's Forest Park. This is a photo of Devine reciting that poem at a ceremony honoring his sister in law Joyce Devine when a section of Forest Park trails were dedicated as "The Devine Way" in 2007.

 

 

Finally, here is the last known poem written by John Devine, composed shortly before his death.

 


The Last Leaf

I saw a leaf, a yellow one

Upon its bough

I noted it for several days

I watched it until it fell

Observing this leaf upon a bough

I contemplated what a leaf might be

I did not know

Nor care at first

Whatever it may be,

Yet when it fell

I felt the world was different

Watching that leaf,

Wondering all the while,

Just what might it be

That caused that leaf to fall....

I realized that like that leaf

My own life had changed.

J.E.D. 2010

 


 2002


 
2013
 
 
 
2022


St. Michael's Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment